What a trip we had!! Our vacation began in Chamonix, France, which is where the registration, headquarters and finish line for the CCC were located. I now know that CCC stands for three towns that the course runs through; Courmayeur, Italy (start line), Champex, Switzerland (mid-way point) and Chamonix, France (finish line).
We arrived in Chamonix on Tuesday, August 27 in preparation for the CCC on Friday. We found our chambre d'hotes, which was an old farm house that was very quiet and quaint and just what we hoped it would be. It was located one village over from Chamonix in Les Houches. Our hosts Catherine and Jean-Pierre were wonderful even though they did not speak much English and we do not speak much French. We spent the first few days enjoying Chamonix, registering for Pete's race and enjoying wonderful French food.
Pete's race went very well, although I was not sure he would finish when I saw him at the mid-way point for the first time. The course was the most beautiful he has every run, but also the most challenging by far. Pete ran through the night and finished strong, so strong in fact that he came in over 2 hours faster than he expected to and I consequently missed him at the finish line. I was very disappointed, but so happy for Pete and he felt pretty good all things considered.
Our stay in France was wonderful. The scenery was amazing, we had the right amount of outings, and rest in preparation for the race. I was able to satisfy every craving I had and joked with Pete that he was Jack Sprat who could eat no fat and I was his wife who could eat no lean. I enjoyed cheese, bread and cream galore, and Pete's dining was a bit more limited. France, at least where we were, is not a super friendly gluten free place.
Below are photos from France.
 |
| Chamonix |
 |
| The view of the mountains in the morning from our deck in Les Houches. |
 |
| Race Headquarters - quite the backdrop |
 |
| A snapshot to show how close the glaciers are to to town. |
 |
| All registered and raring to go! |
 |
| In the ice cave in the Aiguille u Midi - a mountain in the Mont Blanc massif - we took a cable car up to the top of the mountain. |
 |
| A little construction about 4,000M in the air. |
 |
| View from the Aiguille du Midi |
 |
| A climber on one of the spires on the summit. |
 |
| A view of Mont Blanc - the highest mountain in the Alps |
 |
| The tip of the Aiguille du Midi |
 |
| There we are! |
 |
| At the mid-way station where we had to change cars to go up to the summit. |
 |
| Our lunch stop on the way back down. This is the way to "climb" in the alps when you are out of shape and pregnant! |
 |
| A view of the cable car we rode - each car travels 2700M in 20 minutes and holds about 75 people. |
 |
| Our accommodations - we stayed on the middle level, our hosts live on the upper level and one of their sons lives in the lower level with his family. |
 |
| Our deck |
 |
| All the gear and food is ready for the race. |
 |
| Race morning #5499 is ready to go! |
 |
| Racer and crew |
 |
| A little entertainment at the start line before the Italian, Swiss and French national anthems were sung. |
 |
| 1900 racers off and running! |
 |
| It is hard to tell, but Pete is in the white hat and yellow shirt near the middle of the picture. |
 |
| Running down the cobbled streets in Courmeyeur. |
 |
| A view on my way back to the bus to head back to Chamonix and switch to the bus that would take me to Champex. |
 |
| Pete all smiles running into Champex. It helps when the spectators are so enthusiastic and go on for great distances! 31 miles down. |
 |
| This is an aid tent like I have never seen! I had to have a pass for each aid station because only one person was allowed to assist each runner. |
 |
| OK, he is looking a little beat. Yeah half way done!! :) |
 |
| Leaving Trient at about 11pm. |
 |
| Last aid station before the finish! Heading out of Vallorcine around 2am. |
 |
| The finish line - 6:51am! Race finisher #503 |
 |
| Team Bronski at the finish. |
 |
| So cool!! |
 |
| The flowers were in full bloom everywhere we went - so beautiful! This is a bridge in Chamonix near the internet cafe we used. |
 |
| The best French onion soup I have ever had. |
 |
| Breakfast our last morning in France on the patio. |
 |
| The owners dog - I think his name was Theo |
 |
| We are proud of you finisher! This is the finisher's vest. |
Great pictures! Good job Pete & Team Bronski :) ~Karla
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. Now I can dream about going there too!
ReplyDelete